Sunday, November 14, 2010

RAH! RAH! RAH! SIS! BOOM! BAH!

     Here we are, less that one week from The Polity Bowl. The Polity Bowl is the annual flag football game played between the (Episcopal) Seminary of the Southwest and Austin (Presbyterian) Seminary.  The Flying Thuri-bulls for SSW have been practicing for over 2 months now and we are ready to beat the Presby's! We have our own Darvin Adams, Cam Newton and a pretty darn good tight end too.  I can't name names, just in case the Presby's have spies...
     Earlier in the fall I wrote that I am the snapper for the team and am looking to be voted MVS (most valuable snapper) for the 2010 Flying Thuri-bulls. Please vote early and vote often so I can claim my place in Polity Bowl history at SSW.
     It was quite comical today because they pressed me into running routes and going out for passes, now that was a sight! I caught my first pass, and a couple more, I surprised myself. Now I have to work on throwing the football.  My team mates are kind and patient, and I am giving them an opportunity to practice their pastoral skills. As I said earlier, thank goodness for the no-cut policy, I would be deprived of lots of laughs and good fun. If you want to see it for yourself, please come to St Andrew's Middle School field in Austin, TX next Saturday at 10 am. (I am so lucky most of my fans are far and wide so I can be saved from this embarrassment.)
     Believe it or not, this is all part of my seminary education. I am being spiritually formed by being a part of the SSW flag football team. I am doing it to be a part of something that is bigger than me and to contribute to a community that means something to me. I am responsible for helping shape what the community is to be now and in the future.
     Formation happens. To be awake and notice opportunities, is part of what it means to be alive, to grow and stretch into the unknown. The adventure waits in the unknown.

Bidden or unbidden, God is present.

    

1 comment:

  1. I have this picture in my head of you running a perfect post route and making a spectacular catch in the back on the end zone. Oh wait...... That was Philip Lutzenkerken against UGA!! Have fun and make us Aubies proud!

    ReplyDelete